Dr. Brierley began his career in 1968 with the Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from Tufts University and the Masters and Doctoral Degrees from the University of Illinois in 1970 and 1975, respectively. During that time Dr. Brierley was fortunate to work on the instrumentation program for DuPont Circle Subway Station in Washington, D.C.; a project that formed the basis for his doctoral dissertation. Since that time, Dr. Brierley has devoted his entire professional career to the design and construction management of underground openings. Dr. Brierley has been involved with two successful start-up firms providing consultation services for underground projects; Brierley and Lyman and Brierley Associates. He has served as President of the American Underground Construction Association, Chairman of the Underground Technology Research Council, and as a member of the U.S. National Committee on Tunneling Technology. He has been a member of several professional societies and has authored more than 200 technical papers and articles for tunneling publications including the “Ask Dr. Mole” column for TBM magazine.
A Brief History . . .
- 2013 – Present – President, Doctor Mole Incorporated
- 1999 – 2012 – President, Brierley Associates, LLC Denver, CO
- 2011-2015 – Chairman, Expert Witness & Ethics Committee, ACEC Denver, CO
- 1991 to 1999 – Director of Tunnel Design and Sr. Vice President, Haley & Aldrich, Inc. Boston, MA
- 1987 to 1991 – President, Brierley & Lyman, Inc. Denver, CO
- 1984 to 1987 – Vice President of Tunneling and Underground Construction, CRS Sirrine Houston, TX
- 1981 to 1984 – Manager, Geotechnical Division of Stone & Webster Engineering Denver, CO
- 1975 to 1981 – Office Manager and Vice President, Haley & Aldrich of New York Rochester, NY Gary’s Credentials . . .
Education . . .
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois,. 1975
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, 1970
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Tufts University, 1968
Professional Registrations . . .
Gary is registered with NCESS and holds professional engineering licenses in multiple states across the United States.
- American Counsel of Engineering Companies
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Former President, American Underground Construction Assoc.
- Former Chairman, Underground Technology Research Council
- Former Member, U.S. National Committee on Tunneling Technology
- Society of Mining Engineers
- International Tunneling Association
- Honorary Societies/Awards
- Geotechnical Award, Boston Society of Civil Engineering ACEC 1974, 1975 and 1976
- National Science Foundation Fellowship
- 1989 Kenneth S. Lane Award for excellence in publication.
If would like to hire Dr. Gary Brierley. . .
Dr. Gary Brierley is available to assist owners, attorneys, engineering and construction firms. Please let us know how he can help. Contact Dr. Brierley